Glimmer Train has been discovering and publishing emerging writers since 1990.
These are the things Glimmer Train hopes to do:
– Publish literary short stories that were emotionally significant. We knew that at its best, a story could add depth and breadth to real life, and those were the stories we wanted to print.
– Present stories in a handsome physical publication that people would keep, giving the stories the long lives and future readings they deserved.
– Keep a keen eye out for new voices, favoring pieces by emerging writers.
– Permanently have a no-reading-fee category (our “standard” category) so no writer would be prevented from making submissions because of finances.
– Pay writers well for stories we accepted for publication. (In a year’s time now, we pay over $45,000 to writers, nearly a third of that to emerging writers.)
Upcoming Very Short Fiction Contest
We invite you to submit your very short stories (maximum word count 3,000) within the next 21 days.
Reading fee is $15 per story; please, no more than three submissions per contest.
Open to all writers. Any short story that has not appeared in print, nor been accepted by a print publication, is welcome!
Maximum length: 3000 words
Held twice a year: Open to submissions in January and July.
January Deadline: January 31
Submissions at: Glimmer Train’s online submission site
- 1st place: $1,500 and publication in Glimmer Train Stories, and 20 copies of that issue.
- 2nd place: $500, or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies
- 3rd place: $300, or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies
Sign up for their free monthly bulletins at this link.